Testosterone (Cernos Gel )
What is this medicine?
Cernos Gel is a medicine used in the treatment of male hypogonadism caused due to low testosterone levels. It is only prescribed to men with known medical conditions. It helps in restoring the level of testosterone in the male body.
- The primary use of Cernos 1% W/W Gel is as an androgen replacement therapy in the treatment of delayed male puberty. Also, it is used in postpartum breast pain and engorgement; inoperable breast cancer; and male hypogonadism.Cernos 1% W/W Gel is the main male sex hormone and is also available as a prescription medicine to help treat male hypogonadism and symptoms of low testosterone levels. The symptoms of a low Cernos 1% W/W Gel level may include low energy, sexual dysfunction and the loss of a few key male characteristics.Cernos 1% W/W Gel works by supplying the body its natural level of testosterone. Cernos 1% W/W Gel medications is available in the form of transdermal patches which are placed on the skin, gels, topical solutions, injections, buccal patches that are applied to the upper gums, and pellets implanted under the skin.Cernos 1% W/W Gel levels in your body naturally decline as you age. In some cases they decline to abnormal levels which lead to complications such as reduced energy, adrenal fatigue, hyperthyroidism, and sexual dysfunction. In these cases Cernos 1% W/W Gel replacement therapy is used to restore the Cernos 1% W/W Gel to normal levels. It is administered through patches, injections or gels.Some of the side effects of Cernos 1% W/W Gel include: sleep apnea, gynecomastia, reduce the sperm count, gum irritation, it can increase the red blood cell count to dangerous levels. Others include: severe itching, fluid-filled blisters, red, irritated skin.Diabetics should monitor serum glucose closely and notify prescriber of changes; this medication may alter hypoglycemic requirements. You may experience acne, growth of body hair, loss of libido, impotence, or menstrual irregularity (usually reversible); nausea or vomiting (small frequent meals, frequent mouth care, sucking lozenges, or chewing gum may help).Report changes in menstrual pattern; enlarged or painful breasts; deepening of voice or unusual growth of body hair; persistent penile erection; fluid retention (swelling of ankles, feet, or hands, difficulty breathing or sudden weight gain); unresolved changes in CNS (nervousness, chills, insomnia, depression, aggressiveness); altered urinary patterns; change in color of urine or stool; yellowing of eyes or skin; unusual bruising or bleeding; or other persistent adverse reactions.
Information given here is based on the salt content of the medicine. Uses and effects of the medicine may vary from person to person. It is advisable to consult a Endocrinologist before using this medicine.
How should I take this medicine?
Cernos 1% W/W Gel works by two methods: by the activation of androgen receptor and conversion of estradiol and activation of estrogen receptors. Free testosterone is carried to cytoplasm within targeted cells of tissues where it combines to androgen receptor.
- Is It safe with alcohol?Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor.
- Are there any pregnancy warnings?Cernos 1% W/W Gel is highly unsafe to use during pregnancy. Human and animal studies have shown significant adverse effects on the foetus. Please consult your doctor. Inform prescriber if you are pregnant. Do not get pregnant during or for 1 month following therapy.
- Are there any breast-feeding warnings?This drug may cause severe fetal defects. Do not breast-feed. Please consult your doctor.
- Is it safe to drive while on this medicine?There is no interaction between driving and consuming this drug. So dose alteration is not needed.
- Does this affect kidney function?Patients suffering from severe cardiac, hepatic or renal insufficiency or ischaemic heart disease, treatment with testosterone may cause severe complications
- Does this affect liver function?There is no interaction between liver impairment and consuming this drug. So dose alteration is not needed.
- How long is the duration of effect?Based upon the route of administration and which testosterone ester is used; the cypionate and enanthate esters have the longest duration, up to 2-4 weeks after I.M. administration.
What may interact with this medicine?
Do not take this medicine with any of the following:
- methscopolamine nitrate
- nitrates like amyl nitrite, isosorbide dinitrate, isosorbide mononitrate, nitroglycerin
- other sildenafil products (Revatio, Viagra, Eriacta, etc.)
This medicine may also interact with the following:
- certain drugs for high blood pressure
- certain drugs for the treatment of HIV infection or AIDS
- certain drugs used for fungal or yeast infections, like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, and voriconazole
This list may not describe all possible interactions. Give your health care providers a list of all the medicines, herbs, non-prescription drugs, or dietary supplements you use. Also tell them if you smoke, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. Some items may interact with your medicine.
What should I watch for while taking this medicine?
If you notice any changes in your vision while taking this drug, call your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible. Call your health care provider right away if you have any change in vision. Contact you doctor or health care professional right away if the erection lasts longer than 4 hours or if it becomes painful. This may be a sign of a serious problem and must be treated right away to prevent permanent damage. If you experience symptoms of nausea, dizziness, chest pain or arm pain upon initiation of sexual activity after taking this medicine, you should refrain from further activity and call your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible. Using this medicine does not protect you or your partner against HIV infection (the virus that causes AIDS) or other sexually transmitted diseases.
What side effects may I notice from this medicine?
Common side effects of this medicine include:
- Edema (Swelling)
- Testicular Atrophy
Where can I keep my medicine?
Keep out of reach of children. Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.